Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Recreation Coverage, Recreation Insurance Information – Georgia

 Georgia Mortocycle Law – (Click to go to State Page)On Road Rules/Laws                                                                                                     Get a Motorcycle Insurance Quote
Safety Helmet 40-6-315 Required by law. (a) No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he or she is wearing protective headgear which complies with standards established by the commissioner of motor vehicle safety.
State Funded Rider Ed Available for all eligible applicants
Eye Protection Required by law unless equipped with windscreen
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law-modulating headlight permitted
Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers To be used for communication purposes only
Periodic Safety Inspection None
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law
Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Not Required on motorcycles manufactured prior to January 1, 1972 40-8-25(b).
Muffler No accoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.
State Insurance Requirements 33-7-11 (a)(1) No automobile liability policy or motor vehicle liability policy shall be issued … unless it contains an endorsement or provisions undertaking to pay the insured all sums which said insured shall be legally entitled to recover as damages from the owner or operator of an uninsured motor vehicle, within limits exclusive of interests and costs which at the option of the insured shall be: (A) Not less than $25,000.00 because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident, and, subject to such limit for one person, $50,000.00 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and $25,000.00 because of injury to or destruction of property…
Handlebar Height Maximum of 15″ above seat
Rider-Education Waiver Skill & Knowledge Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes
Accept RiderEd Completion Card From Other States N/A
Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Yes. 40-6-312 – (d) Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane.
Lane Splitting 40-6-312 (b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.
Lemon Law Coverage No.


RV – Motor Homes

Motor homes, travel trailers, and campers built since 1986 must be titled in the state of Georgia, but titles for fifth-wheel trailers are not required. All these vehicles need to be registered with the Motor Vehicle Division in order to be driven on public roads.

To register, title, and tag your RV or motor home, complete a title application and apply at your local tag office.

When applying, you will need to present the following documents along with the application:

  • The original title or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin if the vehicle is new. If you don’t have these documents, you will need the registration papers from the previous owner, signed over to you.
  • A completed inspection form. The inspection can be performed by a law enforcement official or tag agent before you apply.
  • Appropriate fees. The title fee is $18. If you are registering late (over 90 days from the date of purchase), you will need to pay a penalty of $10. Also, if you are registering during the registration period for that vehicle, you will need to pay the ad valorem tax due at this time.
  • Valid driver’s license or picture ID.
  • Proof of insurance. Georgia requires minimum-liability insurance on all motor vehicles.
  • Proof of residency. A utility bill, lease, deed, or letter from your employer on letterhead will meet this requirement.

Note: A vehicle emissions test is NOT required for recreational vehicles in the state of Georgia.